Monday, August 4, 2008

Family

I recieved something in my email today that really touched my heart, as I too, have truly AMAZING nieces and nephews (as well as amazing Aunts and Uncles, cousins, sisters, brother) Anyway, I thought I would share this with my blog readers. I pray you are each blessed with amazing people in your families, that make you smile from ear to ear when you think of them.


Something to Contemplate
By Mary b. Seger NP PhD


We are Family
[I got all my nieces and nephews with me!]
~Bernard Rodgers and Nile Rodgers
Recorded by Sister Sledge

The soul is healed by being with children.
~ Fodor Dostoevsky

I love the song and lyrics to We Are Family, I got all my sisters with me… I do not have any sisters. I do have four fantastic brothers who have married extraordinary women and they have become my sisters. They have given me the most incredible nieces and nephews anyone could imagine. I recently got to spend time with these incredible children over the Fourth of July. Actually, some are now adults. My, how time does fly!

Hanging out with children and young adults fills my soul. Being “Aunt Mary” is a role I cherish almost as much as I cherish the role of being mom to my Stephanie. I want to look at the roles of the aunt, uncle or grandparent; relationships where you are once or twice removed from the role of the parent.

When was the last time you hung out with children or young adults? Summer in Northern Michigan is a time of family gatherings. Do you have one planned this summer? I would ask you to take the time to visit family this summer. Find those children and young adults related to you and begin to develop or expand the relationships you have with them. If your family is far away, how can you enhance your aunt/uncle/grandparent relationship with pictures, letters, cards or email?

The relationship one can develop with a child who is not your own can be a delight for both individuals. I speak from both sides. I had the best grandma in the world. The unconditional love she gave so freely to my brothers, my cousins and me has remained with us, even though she died many years ago. We still miss her. The love and laughter I receive from my Godmother/Aunt Joan makes me smile whenever I think of her. As an adult, hearing the voices of children calling me “Aunt Mary,” makes me glow with love.

Over the Fourth of July, I was determined to get to know Josie. I had not been around 3-year old Josie very much, so she was not so sure who this “Aunt Mary” was! I decided to take my brother, her father, over to introduce us. After the introduction, Josie stuck out her hand to shake mine and I believe we will be friends for life. The next day came the sweetest words from her lips: Aunt Mary.

I was also able to spend time over the Fourth with my older nieces and nephew. . .I was reflecting on how much I love these kids and the joy they have brought me over the years. I was thinking back to Thanksgiving almost ten years ago, shortly after my divorce. Stephanie was with her father. My sister-in–law had invited me to Okemos to spend Thanksgiving so I wouldn’t be alone. It was a long drive, in the darkness, missing my daughter. As I stepped out of the car, I saw three little girls running towards the car, calling “Aunt Mary, Aunt Mary”, ready with hugs all around. As I entered the door, Shanna and Stephen were there with more “Aunt Mary’s” and more hugs. I spent the weekend surrounded by their love and knew I would be okay.

I also love watching my daughter spend time with her aunts and uncles. The love and support they show her is wonderful to behold. The wisdom they offer, different from mine, is helpful as she enters into the adult world. . . .

Blessings abound if we only seek them out. Find a child or a young adult and begin or enhance your relationship. You will change their lives and they will change yours. The love and joy you feel will radiate out into the world and make it a better place.

Only an Aunt can give hugs like a mother,
can keep secrets like a sister,
and share love like a friend.
~Spanish Proverb

Blessings to You,
Mary

2 comments:

Darla said...

Did I send this to you? I thought it was good too. Obviously!

Darla said...

Did I send this to you? I thought it was good too, obviously!